We recommend new mothers to consider the initial month of massage as a confinement period to help them rest, recover and rejuvenate to post pregnancy body and shape, in the shortest time possible. Proper confinement practices can help to prevent health problems in the years to come.
The general practises we follow and advice:-
- Ice water is forbidden as it is believed to distend the stomach muscles, resulting in bulging belly. Only boiled milk or warm water should be served. Drinking ajwain water is believed to help in cleansing the stomach and aid digestion. Same goes for jeera water it is also believed to aid digestion and help relieve constipation, bloating and gas.
Preparing ajwain water:- Boil 1 teaspoon ajwain in approx 1.5 liter of water. Boil for atleast 10 minutes. Allow it to cool. Separate the ajwain using a sieve. Drink the ajwain water throughout the day
- The intake of turmeric juice may be done in the first week for three consecutive days in case of a caesarian delivery. Turmeric is an anti-bacterial herb which may also help to reduce the risk of infection of the caesarian cut.
- Green leafy vegetables, garlic, boiled fenugreek seeds is among the foods believed to help produce good milk. Fenugreek tablets can also be taken to help increase the supply of breast milk.
- Intake of cold food is not allowed. Cooling fruits such watermelon, papaya, cucumber and windy vegetables such as cabbage and bean sprouts to be avoided while nursing as it can cause colic in babies.
- Intake of hot foods and herbs are encouraged. These will enhance perspiration. Excessive perspiration is seen as a wonderful way to lose all the water that is retained by the body throughout the pregnancy.
- All meals are to be taken in small quantities though they may be taken more frequently. This is also believed to have an effect on stomach firming. Meals should preferably be home cooked including soups and should be consumed frequently to ensure constant supply of breast milk for the baby.
- Liquid or watery and fatty or oily foods are not allowed. Intake of watery food is believed to delay the loss of retained moisture in the body while fatty and oily foods will interfere with the process of losing accumulated fat. Foods should be usually steamed or lightly stir fried with minimal use of oil.
- The new mother has to keep herself warm at all times. She has to put on socks and house slippers, especially if she has to walk on a cement floor. Staying in an air-conditioned room is not encouraged.
- The new mother should take bath and wash hair using warm water in the daytime preferably.
Post Pregnancy Tips-Recommendations