Why is Postpartum Massage Important?
Pregnancy and birth is a magical time for mothers. However, in her joy of welcoming a new member to the family, new mothers tend to forget that they are integral to the whole process of conception and birth and they tend to neglect their own need to rest and recover after childbirth. Maternity hospitals are focused only on prenatal and not on postnatal care. New mothers need to be aware that negligence of physical and emotional wellbeing during the delicate postnatal period can lead to infections, postnatal depression and long term physical side effects.
Cucciku’s Post partum massages are immensely nurturing and relaxing and are designed to help:
1) Internal Cleansing: – Post Pregnancy massage expels ‘lochia’ or dirty blood and trapped winds & Toxins.
2) Decrease swelling: – During pregnancy there is increase of about 50% in fluid volume. After pregnancy body fluids need to find balance. Massage increases blood circulation and lymphatic drainage to facilitate elimination of excess fluids and waste products. Tissue stimulation assists the body to shift water to the right places.
Swelling is also affected by hormones, which go through major changes after delivery. Massage helps hormone regulation, which also decreases swelling.
3) Pain Relief: – Breastfeeding and childcare normally cause arm, shoulder and back pain. Massage is an effective holistic approach that relaxes tense muscles and provides relief from such pain.
Massage stimulates the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers, into the brain and nervous system.
4) Improve Breastfeeding: – Post natal massage increases breast milk and helps relieve breast pain. Massaging chest muscles opens the shoulders and improves lactation and new born suckling.
5) Slim Down: – Massaging flattens the abdomen and breakdowns stubborn body fat to its pre-pregnancy size and shape and speed up overall recovery.
Massage lifts the womb and prevents it from sagging; it also hastens the shrinkage of the enlarged uterus.
6) Better Sleep:-Most new moms feel exhausted after labour and delivery, complicated with around-the-clock baby care. Massage will ease the fatigue, promote relaxation and assist with sleep. Getting enough sleep is key to postpartum recovery.
7) Relaxation and Stress Reduction:-Massage relaxes muscles, increases circulation and lowers stress hormones, bringing relaxation and stress relief. Massage is also beneficial for treating postpartum depression.
8) Hormone Regulation:-Massage greatly improves postpartum hormone balance. Estrogen and progesterone hormone levels are very high during pregnancy and decrease after delivery. Prolactin and oxytocin hormone levels rise to facilitate breastfeeding. Studies indicate that massage reduces the stress hormone cortisol.
Massage also reduces naturally occurring biochemical’s associated with depression and cardiovascular problems , supporting Mom with the challenges of motherhood.